A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho
Falls Science Fair, April 26.
In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control
or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide."
And for plenty of good reasons, since it can:
He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical. Forty-three
said yes, six were undecided, and only one knew that the chemical was
water. The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?"
- cause excessive sweating and vomiting
- it is a major component in acid rain
- it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
- accidental inhalation can kill you
- it contributes to erosion
- it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
- it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients
He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmists
practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our
environment. He feels the conclusion is obvious.